My Top 10 Films of 2017

As we move on to 2018, here's a look at some of the films which I really enjoyed in 2017. I wasn't able to watch many films in 2017, saw a little more than 100 films, most of which were commercial flicks and this list is totally based on films that I was able to watch. While films like Justice League was my biggest upset this year (No HATERS, it's not a bad film), some surprised me as well. Once again I failed to explore the beauty of world cinema, hence you won't find any neither the ones which kind of passed under the radar but I'm pretty sure I'll watch some of them before I die. So below is the list in no particular and you can completely beg to differ from my choices.

      CHUCK 
      Director: Philippe Falardeau


The story of the Man who inspired Sylvester Stallone to make Rocky. Chuck might have some limited release in 2016 but it had its US release in 2017 hence I decided to include it in the list. A very touching film and one that surprised me a lot. Do watch it, in case you haven't. 

    SPLIT
    Director: M. Night Shyamalan


The comeback film of M. Night Shyamlan who was making crappy high budget films with no content. This also marks the beginning of his so-called cinematic universe which connects to his critically acclaimed film Unbreakable. James McAvoy delivers a stunning performance.

    DUNKIRK
    Director: Christopher Nolan


While Nolan fans are divided on this one, some say it's good others say it's full of flaws, remember Inception. I for one loved it to the core. Only if the film had a better ending then it could have easily become one of the modern war classics.

    Mugen no jûnin AKA BLADE OF THE IMMORTAL
    Director: Takashi Miike


Mikke returns with the film adaptation of the Manga series and treats audiences with his trademark style, unique characters and violent action. Remember 13 Assassins, this one is no different.

    BABY DRIVER
    Director: Edgar Wright


Why I love Edgar Wright? Because he can make zombie comedy, buddy cop comedy, alien comedy as well as a different kind of musical-action-comedy. Baby Driver is a fun ride with great music.

    SPIDER-MAN: HOMECOMING
    Director: Jon Watts


Just when I was thinking - Oh! No! another Spidey flick, Spider-Man: Homecoming not only surprised me, it exceeded my expectations, entertained me and made me laugh. And YES I'm a DC Fan.

     THOR: RAGNAROK
     Director: Taika Waititi


First thing first, while the whole world might remember Taika Waititi as the director of Thor:Ragnarok and the voice of Korg, please watch his film Hunt for the Wilderpeople which is one of the most underrated film of all times. Coming back to this one, I know Hulk seemed like a goof but he was a better goof than Batman (at this moment tears rolled down my cheek). It was all funny, lacked darkness and seriousness but like some good fella said, these films are like live action cartoons, so what the heck. I loved it!

    JOHN WICK: CHAPTER 2
    Director: Chad Stahelski 


This time Baba Yaga does kill with a pencil, what else do you need? If you love action film and haven't watched this one then we live on different planets.

    LOGAN
    Director: James Mangold


Finally, it was redemption time for Wolverine fans. What a farewell by Hugh Jackman, although a lucrative offer from studio might bring him back in future (if Han Solo can return, why can't he?). Until then it's undoubtedly one of the best X-Men films to ever come out.

    THE BIG SICK
    Director: Michael Showalter


One of my, the most, favorite film of 2017. Who knew that I would love a rom-com film with no expectations but it turned out to be a real gem of a film. Ya, you may disagree but who cares.

HONORABLE MENTION

T2 TRAINSPOTTING


Perhaps the most underrated film of 2017 which got completely unnoticed. Danny Boyle once again creates the same magic with the original cast returning for this worthy sequel.

NOTABLE FILMS

Gongjo AKA CONFIDENTIAL ASSIGNMENT 
BOYKA UNDISPUTED
FREE FIRE
HINDI MEDIUM
JUSTICE LEAGUE DARK
BRIGHT

Comments