B OR NOT TO B #1 - Nick Fury: Agent of S.H.I.E.L.D. (1998)



Nick Fury: Agent of S.H.I.E.L.D. - The Story Before The MCU

Director: Rod Hardy
Cast: David Hasselhoff, Lisa Rinna, Sandra Hess

Almost 10 years before the Marvel Cinematic Universe, Fox Television came out with Nick Fury: Agent of S.H.I.E.L.D. It was supposed to be the pilot episode of a series centered on S.H.I.E.L.D. director, Nick Fury, but it never saw the light. Thank God for that! Not sure how the series would have turned out to be, but this pilot cum TV movie is certainly one of Marvel’s biggest disaster till date. David Hasselhoff stars as Nick Fury, and although I must say that he didn’t look bad but he didn’t do a good job either. 



The good part about this movie was the fact that despite being a TV movie produced in the 90’s, it was pretty decent in terms of production design, costume and visual effects. The movie also features Marvel characters like Viper, Baron Wolfgang von Strucker, Alexander Pierce, Arnim Zola and others. The latter three have also appeared in the MCU while Viper appeared in 2013’s The Wolverine. The movie did start on a positive note but kept on getting worse but somehow I went through the entire film in one go without any trouble. I mean, at times there are films which I wish should have ended as early as possible so that I can be saved from the misery.

The bad parts were - the story was bad and you know what? it was written by David S. Goyer, the performances were terrible and so was the direction. There was hardly any action in the film, which was a major disappointment since you would expect to have some decent action at least in such a movie, if not anything else. It also differs from the source material in comics, which is not new as we see it pretty often these days.



So, why did I watch this one? I knew about this movie for a long time and being a fan of comic book films, it was always on my radar. After all these years, I thought why not? Let’s give it a shot. And like I said, I never felt bored watching this one but I would still recommend staying away from this one unless you’re a fanatic like me. 

Note: B or not to B is series of articles based on the B Action movies of the 80’s and 90’s. I am a big fan of these movies because they have a certain flavor not everyone can cherish. Many may cite them as sheer work of misdirected minds, but to me, they are a  source of real inspiration. These movies never had the budget to back them but still, the action and stunts were no less than any big studio. This is my tribute to some of the unsung films of the past.

Soumit 'The Top' Nath

Comments