Puppy On The Highway - Short Story


I was driving straight for five long hours on a lonely desolate highway; chances were I might have lost my way. The scorching heat of the sun was winning the battle over my car’s AC, in a battle against heat. The heat and long drive started taking its toll on me, I was starting to dehydrate, sight grew fuzzy and my head started to spin. To make things even worse, I had a very little amount of water left in my bottle. That little volume of water seemed like the greatest asset of my life at that moment. I was saving it for an emergency, while quenching my thirst with my own saliva, swallowing it at regular interval to kill the thirst, but after a while, even that started to dry as well. I was feeling dizzy, had blurry vision, the road was playing tricks on me and before I could think further; I hit the brakes as hard as I could. Heaven’s sake! A dead puppy in the middle of a road to nowhere, I got out of my car to take a look.

Wait, it was still breathing. I had no idea how it ended up there but one thing was certain, it was dying in the heat. I quickly went inside my car and grabbed my bottle of water. I poured a couple of drops of water inside the puppy’s mouth. It opened its eyes and looked at me. I felt like it said, “Help me!” I completely forgot that a few moments back, I was in a bad shape myself. I poured some more water into the puppy’s mouth. This time, the response was a little verbal, maybe a ‘thank you’, who knows? “Well, I can’t leave it here to die”, I said to myself. I picked it up with my hands, took it inside my car and put it on the seat beside me.

I started the engine and drove off. After driving for few minutes, I saw a majestic word “Dhaba” which was still distant. I felt like I was reborn. My hands quickly grabbed the gear knob to go full throttle, while my hands were on the gear I felt a soothing wet sensation. It was the puppy; it was gently licking my hand. I will never forget that feeling in life. With a smile on my face, I drove off with my partner to destination Dhaba.

Written by Soumit 'The Top' Nath

Comments