My Top 10 Films of 2014


This list is based on films that I have seen and not based on critical and commercial success. This is my personal list and I have put it together in no particular order. This list may differ for many people but I have enjoyed these films the most out of the many that I have seen which have been released in 2014.

1) Interstellar (Dir : Christopher Nolan)




Interstellar had it's fair share of critical acclaim and criticism but for me it is undoubtedly the best film of 2014 and Christopher Nolan. It's not only one of the best sci-fi movies of our time but has strong human values and also focuses on the beauty of human relationship.


2) Boyhood (Dir: Richard Linklater)



How often do you see a film which takes 12 years in the making with the same actors portraying the same characters over the period of time.  A real achievement in Cinema and one of the best films of all time.


3) Gone Girl (Dir : David Fincher)



Gone Girl once again proves the fact that David Fincher is still in the game and will stay for a while. A very dark and gritty film with some really good performances.


4) The Grand Budapest Hotel (Dir : Wes Anderson)



This is one of the most brilliant dark comedies that I have seen and was the best film for 2014 for me until I saw the first two above. Visually outstanding, good direction and am amazing star cast.

5) The Judge (Dir: David Dobkin)



Saw it recently and it straight away made it to the list. Amazing performances by the two Robert's. Another must watch film of 2014.

6) Edge of Tomorrow (Dir: Doug Liman)



Before I watched this film I was under the impression that it would be another high budget Tom Cruise flick but after watchig it, I fell in love with it. Awesome editing, brilliant special effects and action. One of the better films of Tom Cruise off late.

7) The Guardian of the galaxy (Dir: James Gunn)



Cheesy characters, goofy dialogues, awesome soundtracks and perhaps the most entertaining film of this year.

8) The Equalizer (Dir: Antoine Fuqua)



A very dark and gritty action film and a deadly performance by Denzel Washington. It's only because of Denzel Washington's performance and action, this film is in the list

9) Chef (Dir: Jon Favreau)



A light hearted drama with awesome food (didn't get to taste it though) equals to The Chef.


10) Predestination (Dir: The Spierig Brothers)



This was the surprise film of the year for me. This proves that you don't need big budgets or cheesy visual effects for a sci-fi film. A twisted plot and some really good direction alongwith good acting.

My Bonus Pick : The Raid 2



Being an action film fan it would be a heinous crime if I don't include this film in the list. One of the best action films of 2014 and may be of all times.





Notable misses (movies not seen by me) - Birdman, Whiplash, Inherent Vice, The Imitation Game, The Theory of Everything, The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies .

Comments