My Top 10 Films of 2018

With the arrival of 2019, another came to an end, and 2018 was a good year for film lovers as we got to witness some great films. I hope 2019 continues to be equally great with some highly anticipated releases. So here is the list of the films that I really enjoyed in 2018. Since I watch a lot of mainstream cinema (especially action films) and got limited access to World Cinema, you may not necessarily agree with my picks. The list is based completely on the films that I have viewed, and there are a lot of notable misses.

HEVI REISSU AKA HEAVY TRIP
Directors: Juuso Laatio, Jukka Vidgren


So, I had to choose between Heavy Trip and Bohemian Rhapsody and ultimately decided to go with the earlier. This Finnish black comedy was a laugh riot with some great heavy metal soundtracks. If you are a fan of heavy metal, then this is a must watch.

AQUAMAN
Director: James Wan


DC fans had a lot to rejoice last year right from animation to series, but Aquaman was a refreshing dive into the depth of Atlantis. It wasn’t as good as Avengers: Infinity Wars, but as a DC fan, I cherished every moment of it. There’s not much in the story, but the mesmerizing visuals and brilliant action scenes were the major highlights of the film.

BADHAI HO
Director: Amit Sharma


I guess I saw less than ten Bollywood films last year, but I’m glad that I viewed this one. Badhai Ho is a perfectly balanced middle road cinema. There were comedy and emotion, exceptional performances and a refreshing storyline.

MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE - FALLOUT
Director: Christopher McQuarrie


Mission: Impossible - Fallout would make even Jackie Chan proud. Tom Cruise goes full throttle on this one and by far the best film in the franchise in regards to stunts and action scenes. It was undoubtedly one of the best action films of 2018 that also had a breathtaking climax.

THE NIGHT COMES FOR US
Director: Timo Tjahjanto


I don’t know how long I have been waiting for this film, and boy it was totally worth all the wait. The Night Comes For Us is every action fanboy’s dream but also a nightmare for the light-hearted due to its extreme violence. The last time I was so excited to see an action film was The Raid, and guess what - most of the cast were part of the Raid films.

YOU WERE NEVER REALLY HERE
Director: Lynne Ramsay


You Were Never Really Here is the perfect fusion of art cinema with a mainstream gore action thriller. Joaquin Phoenix delivers one of the best performances of the last year. A must watch for genre lovers.

UPGRADE
Director: Leigh Whannell


I was really impressed by the promos of Upgrade, but the film exceeded my expectations by a long way. While many are considering it as a horror film, to me it is one of the best sci-fi action films of the decade. The film was like a more scientific version of Venom.

BODIED
Director: Joesph Kahn


Bodied took a long time to get a release after its premiere at TIFF 2017 and one of the most anticipated films that I was looking forward to. I’m not a fan of rap or hip-hop music, but this film will definitely intrigue you to rhyme a couple of ‘Bars’ after you watch it.

AVENGERS: INFINITY WARS
Directors: Russo Brothers


Avengers: Infinity Wars is one of the best superhero films of all time in every aspect. It was a real treat to watch and the only film in 2018 that I have watched twice in the theaters.

ROMA
Director: Alfonso CuarĂ³n


Roma is not a film, it is an experience. Almost the entire Cineworld is considering it as one of the best films in 2018. There was no other film that I have watched, deserved to be on top last year. If you are a true lover of cinema, do not miss it at any cost.

HONORABLE MENTION

BOHEMIAN RHAPSODY
Director: Bryan Singer


Although many have criticized it for its inaccuracies, as well as a troubled production, you cannot deny the fact that it was one of the most entertaining films of the last year. Queen was a major part of my early days, and it was great to see a film based on Freddie and the Band.

NOTABLE MENTIONS

INCREDIBLES 2
MOWGLI: LEGEND OF THE JUNGLE
THE DEATH OF SUPERMAN
ACCIDENT MAN
A PRAYER BEFORE DAWN 
SKIF AKA THE SCYTHIAN
ANDHADHUN

Comments