My Top 5 films of 2016

My Top 5 films of 2016

Well it’s pretty late and we’re almost at the end of the second week of 2017 but still here are 5 of my best choices from 2016. 2016 wasn’t really a good year for me in terms of watching films, in fact I watched only a handful of new releases although I did watch a lot of old films and TV series so it compensated a bit in the end. So let me begin with the list however I would like to mention that this list is completely based on films that I have watched released in 2016 so it’s not necessary you should agree with it.

1) Busanhaeng AKA Train to Busan (Dir: Sang-ho Yeon)

This Korean Zombie flick was by far the biggest surprises of 2016. If you think The Walking Dead and World War Z redefined the genre then you got to see this wonderful Korean film. The film has a perfect blend of Drama, Horror and some gore violence.


2) Me Before You (Dir: Thea Sharrock)

Another film that might have gone under the radar, this British romantic drama starring Mother of Dragons and one of my favorites Emilia Clarke was certainly the best romantic film that I’ve seen in 2016.


3) Captain America: Civil War (Dir: Russo Brothers)

As much as it hurts to say as a DC Fan but Captain America: Civil War was the best superhero film of 2016, sorry Deadpool.  I haven’t seen Doctor Strange and yes I liked Batman Vs Superman, period!


4) Visaaranai (Dir: Vetrimaaran)

It always feels good when you see a brilliant Independent film coming out from regional Indian cinema. No bullshit, engaging story and brilliant performances. It might have got out of the Oscar race but it definitely was my favorite Indian film of 2016.


5) Hardcore Henry (Dir: Ilya Naishuller)

Technically this film was released in 2015 but was very limited and it had its widespread release in 2016 so I’ll include it in the list. It’s yet another ground breaking film in the action genre and one of the best action films of 2016.


Bonus

Zootopia (Dir: Byron Howard/Rich Moore/Jared Bush)

Haven’t really seen a lot of animation film in 2016 but this one certainly was the best for me.



Honorable Mentions:

Tarzan
Jungle book
Spectral
The Shallows
Purge: Election Year

Comments